Pages

Friday, September 28, 2012

Productivity through desk jumping- it works!

My work life balance has definitely been out of whack in the past few weeks.  
I have turned into a pumpkin on at least 7 of the past 10 working days. 

Its pretty sad when you get home and your cat has taken pride of place in your side of the bed as she has given up waiting for you to come home (insert guilty 'pang' sound here!).

 And I don't just have any cat.  Nope.  I had to have the 'gadget cat'.  Pedigree with high intelligence.  Shes a Bombay- one of the smartest cats around.  This also means, when I do finally fall into bed, she decides it is actually morning, which sadly she is technically correct and she knows it.  This also means its 'play fetch time' with her favourite toy. However at 1.00am in the morning on a school night I have "Angry,Annoyed, where-have-you-been-cat, I-want-to play-now cat".  It still manages to somehow be 'cutsey' and does at least leave me drifting off with a smile on my face, even though what I really need is sleep!

This morning however, I was woken up by kisses, I woke up smiling thinking how lovely the thought was from my beloved husband.  I opened my eyes...darn that cat.....again!  I'm not sure how I feel about being woken up by cat kisses to be honest.  I look over- and realised, my husband was already gone- had to get up to go to Hamilton earlier than even I was getting up. Yup, he is also working hard.

So how does one become more productive when already juggling so many balls at once, working ever hour you can and getting home at un-godly hours?  I think I have found the secret formula...I call it Desk Jumping.

Yesterday was crunch day for us at work. We are launching an exciting new service line as well as being extremely busy with a great deal of work on with our existing customers and some excellent new prospects coming along. I have also been asked to keynote a conference the week after next in Christchurch and will be launching our new products nationally next week.
The new technology we are working on is dependant on space for testing. 

This meant sitting at my desk was not an option.  Myself and one of our consultants had the job of polishing the technology so its ready for market.  We both spent the day in our boardroom, its amazing when all you have is your laptop, and a wireless mouse and a totally clear desk how much more productive you become in a space that is simply empty of all things paper related.  No checks to sign, no invoices to approve, no job descriptions to review or mail to open and of course emails that constantly come through. 

Needless to say, working in the boardroom I still go distracted, I think my count was up to 12 interruptions from staff by the end of the day, however it did not feel like as much of a disruption when there are less things going on. I normally work in an open-plan office. It certainly has its benefits, but its disadvantages also. Concentration can sometimes be difficult and there are always things happening and people moving around, but you tend to be able to keep your finger on the pulse.

At a guess, working in the boardroom yesterday, I would say I was at least 25% more productive than normal. I achieved things I have not been able to get through for weeks. We have polished off our new products and today will put the final touches on the last one, ready for show-off day on Monday in Hamilton.

We used to have a consultant who worked for us about 7 years ago who is now in Canada, I'll never forget him as many days when I'd  be at work, I'd look up and see him sitting at a different desk and could never understand why as he did have a fixed desk.  Now I'm really starting to get it after all of these years. 

Clear you mind, clear you space, focus on the same problem in a different way.  Our boardroom is the classic all white walls, big board room table (also white) and lots of chairs and not too much else.  From my seat yesterday if I look out the window right in front, is simply the building next door, with a solid white brick wall, no signage, nothing.
So having a totally clear room seams to equate to a clear mind, hence the productivity improvements.

I sometimes hibernate and working from home .  This has its advantages, but its still distracting.  First there is the said cat who I have discussed in previous blogs.  She just has to be part of your day if you are at home, then there is the office desk.  Its hard not to look at the filing to do, the things still to be listed on Trademe and the whiteboard full of things like 'replace broken tile in laundry' or 'fix roofing membrane'.  Or when I look out the window there are constantly cars going past or people walking along the road.  Visual and physical noise everywhere.

My suggestion is to at least try my desk jumping idea if you really want to get some serious gains in a project, new product, or simply finish something off.  

So here is the secret method- Productivity through Desk Jumping:-

1/ Find the blandest room you can- preferably white walls with not much on them. 
2/ The room must have nothing else in it- no phone, no papers, nothing, just a desk or table and a comfortable chair (you may want to move the one from your desk for this purpose).
3/ Grab your laptop and preferably a second screen (yes, stats are 2nd screens make you more productive).
4/ Grab you colleague if needed.
5/ Clear your schedule for the day (easier said than done, but its only 1 day- just try it)
6/ Get set to work.  Stay in the room all day and only leave for lunch, toilet stops etc.  Do not get distracted or dragged back into your main space. 
7/ Have someone take messages for you for in coming calls.
8/ Review your work at the end of the day- progress?  More productive?

9/ And.... If you have a cat, lock them in the laundry for the night to guarantee a good nights sleep!

I look forward to hearing from those of you who have given this a go.







No comments:

Post a Comment