Pages

Thursday, June 13, 2013

Front page of NZ Herald- officially off my bucket list!

Its official.  My quest in life is fulfilled, well sort of.  My actions have made it onto the front page of the NZ Herald this week.  Well, at least the front page of their website.  Yesterday one of my staff sent me the link which simply said "we're famous".

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sideswipe/news/article.cfm?c_id=702&objectid=10889612

This Private Property sign has already blown off down Nelson street 3 times and has been hit once and it still lives on.  I still think my sense of humour and the ties to our IT side has come through well on this sign- I have not yet decided what the abnormal experiments should be- please comment on this blog if you have ideas- they are all welcome! 

The sign came about because we'd been having loads of issues with cars driving through our car park and out the other side to get back onto the motorway.  The final straw came when the lady who works in the fruit shop around the corner tried to short cut through the car park and HIT the building and ripped the door half off, smashed the concrete and wedged her car door so hard against the corner of the building so hard that she could not get out of her car.  It took 2 of our staff to manoeuvre the car so she could get out.  6 months of insurance claims and a still damaged door, we are the ones who are worse off for the experience!

The No Trespassing sign came about when we were asked by the signage company what we wanted it to say.  I thought it was an odd thing to ask as I thought No Trespassing was simply that!  Being a creative marketer, I took the opportunity to inject humour into something that is also serious and the subtlety to see if anyone would actually read and take notice of it.  Clearly they do.  It made Sideswipe on the front page of the herald this week!  I just wish I'd put our logo on it too!

I've always seen signage as a clear way of marketing- those who know us will know that we are famous for our signage on our building- simply because I decided to put in on an angle, rather than straight to draw peoples attention to it.  It was also noted on the 'observations' website too.

http://observations.co.nz/uncategorized/business-mechanix-need-to-fix-their-sign

Putting that sign on the angle was one of the best things I have done with signage.  People know where we are and we often say- the one with the crooked sign and yes, its meant to be like that!  Its memorable to people amongst the other signage around and that is what counts.

So getting on the front page of the herald is another item ticked off my bucket list. 

In case you are wondering- some other things on my bucket list are: Attending a live sitting of Parliament during question time, Petitioning to have a piece of Legislation changed in Parliament and having it passed into law(Overdue payments and interest charges is what I am looking at ), obtaining a spot on on the board of directors for an NZSX listed company, visiting Hong Kong and new York( have never been), doing a Biking Trip through Vietnam, buying a beach house on the beachfront at Pukehina Beach and living a self sustaining retirement including growing, catching and foraging for my own food sources including doing some type of fitness activity most days.

So what's stopping you- get your bucket list sorted, your creative signage happening and if you love what I'm blogging, share it and send the link on to others to read :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment